God's arms are stronger

"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion for ever."
Psalm 73:26 (NIVUK)


My son, Ruben (not the child in the picture), likes to play Spiderman. It goes like this: I lift him up as he "climbs a wall," then he "swings" across the room to the opposite wall. He doesn't yet understand that my arms can't play this game indefinitely, but he knows that he can't play this game without me. So I am getting an enforced shoulder/arm exercise a couple of times per day.

I see something of this in today's reading. Asaph, the author of this psalm, is fully aware of his own frailty, his own shortcomings. He knows that God is the strength of his heart. He knows that most things will be impossible if not for God's power. And he declares this as a reminder to himself and to us. May we remember today that God is the strength of our hearts and our portion for ever. So why don't we ask Him whose arms never tire to lift us up.

Lord God, I recognise that I am human. I am frail, weak, and needy. But you are not. You, LORD, are strong, mighty, righteous and majestic. You are also merciful and kind. Help me in my time of trouble and remind me that you are my strength and my portion for ever. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Alert (Liz Morris)

Breakfast On The Beach (Penny Cox)

God Sings Over You With Joy (Penny Cox)