All Circumstances? (Nico Marais)

"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NIV)


I miss a lot of things at the moment. I miss my mum in South Africa. I miss the South African autumns. I miss being on a farm/vineyard where the kids can play outside without bothering neighbours. I miss my friends.
I miss having a good night's sleep.

So as I was lying awake in the early hours of this morning, I went through the list of things I missed before God. I think He welcomed it without judgment. I thought the list would be endless, but I ran out of things I missed after a couple of minutes. Then I turned to gratitude, thanking God for the things I have, the things I've experienced, the people I know and love. The list went on and on. So it reminded me that I have much more to be grateful for than I thought or felt at the time.

This echoes with what Paul writes in 1 Thessalonians 5:18. Give thanks in all circumstances. Giving thanks does not always change our circumstances. Instead it changes the way we view our circumstances and how we respond to them. Giving thanks reminded me that God is still good, even though my circumstances try to convince me otherwise at the moment.

Lord Jesus, thank you for the hope I have in you. Thank you for the way you have been with me thus far. I bring everything I miss and desire and I leave them in your hands. Open my eyes to the things I can thank you for today, and bring you honour because of them. Amen.

Nico Marais

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Be Alert (Liz Morris)

Jesus and the strong man (Nico Marais)

Do not be afraid: God’s purposes (Keith Nurse)