Are you even my friend? (Penny Cox)

"Do you love me?”John 21:17 (NLT)
I find it very difficult to get over things that I have done that were wrong, or that have upset people. I often play the scenes back in my imagination and inwardly cringe (sometimes outwardly too!) at the things that I did.
So, I can’t imagine how Peter must have felt when he denied knowing Jesus, not just once, but three times! Especially as he had promised Jesus that he would never do this. But how did Jesus respond? Anger? Hurt? No. Amazingly, and wonderfully, he gave Peter the chance to undo his wrongdoing by affirming his love for Jesus three times. The third time that Jesus asks Peter if he loves him, he uses the word translated into Greek, phileo, meaning affection and friendship. Jesus wants us to be his friends. 
Prayer:
Heavenly Father, thank you that you know what we need before we even ask you. Thank you that we can come to you with all our physical and spiritual needs.  Amen.
Penny Cox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Alert (Liz Morris)

Jesus and the strong man (Nico Marais)

Do not be afraid: God’s purposes (Keith Nurse)