Thus far the Lord has helped us (Penny Cox)

‘Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer, saying, “Thus far has the Lord helped us”.’Samuel 1:12 (NLT)
There’s a saying that goes: “The best indicator of the future is the past”. Well, right now it might feel that there hasn’t been anything much in the past to reference that compares with the current situation that we are living through.
But when things feel uncertain, and I am afraid of what the present and the future might hold, it helps me to think back to the ‘Ebenezer stones’ that mark my journey of faith. The times when God has answered prayers. The times when situations have suddenly changed. And the times when I have felt the kindness of Jesus.
By looking back at how God has been at work in our past, we can be encouraged that he will be just as much at work in our present and in our future. Let’s take time to thank and give praise to God for what he has done and what he is going to do in our lives.
Prayer:
Oh, Heavenly Father. I lift your name on high and praise you for the all the ways in which you have helped and encouraged me. Please forgive me for the times when I have been fearful and doubted you. Please help me to always put my trust in you. Amen.
Penny Cox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Alert (Liz Morris)

Jesus and the strong man (Nico Marais)

Do not be afraid: God’s purposes (Keith Nurse)