Your Kingdom Come (Penny Cox)

‘your kingdom come’

(Matthew 6:10)

As we walk together through the Lord’s Prayer we now pause to think about God’s kingdom and what it means for each of us. By its definition a kingdom is a territory that has a monarch who reigns and has authority over it. So, who has God placed as king over his kingdom?

In Revelation 19:16 we learn clearly that God has made Jesus king of the Kingdom of Heaven:

“On his robe and on his thigh, he has this name written:

KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.”

In the Lord’s Prayer Jesus teaches us to ask and expect God’s kingdom to spread and expand. Not just at the second coming of Christ, when God’s new heaven and earth will be created, but today in our everyday living on this earth.

As we pray the words, “your kingdom come”, can we think of ways that we can extend the rule of King Jesus in our lives? Are there parts of ourselves where Jesus is not yet king? Maybe in our thoughts? Perhaps in our attitudes? It is wonderful to know that our loving Heavenly Father understands that we all have struggles with this and that he wants to help us – so let’s ask for his help now.  

A prayer - Dear Jesus, you are the King of Kings. Thank you that you died for me so that I can approach my Father in Heaven. Show me the places in my life that I keep from your rule and give me the strength to surrender them to you. Help me to extend your kingdom today, in my thoughts, words and actions. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Alert (Liz Morris)

Jesus and the strong man (Nico Marais)

Breakfast On The Beach (Penny Cox)