Be still, and know that I am God (Louise McFerran)

He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    
I will be exalted in the earth.”

Psalm 46:10

“Be still, and know that I am God”.  I find it very hard to say this verse without starting to sing a song that we used to sing at children’s church and school!  When I think of the words, it makes me think of being at peace in the presence of God.  But the rest of the verse gives us a hint that perhaps there is something stronger being said.

We can’t date them exactly, but as we read the Psalms we see they were written during times of great unrest: wars, persecution and immense struggle. But the end of this verse declares the ultimate victory of God. So, when we are instructed to “Be still” it isn’t simply an invitation to be silent and rest before God, though these are very helpful things to do, it’s an invitation to remember who God is: “exalted in the earth”.

I wonder how often, particularly in times of stress like in this pandemic, we find ourselves striving in our own strength and it feels so difficult and hard. So today, let’s not strive and fight in our own strength, let’s be still and know that the God of victory is on our side, our strength and our refuge.

If you have time, read the whole of Psalm 46 today and be still in His presence; meditate on the strength of God and the refuge He is for us.

Lord Jesus, we thank you and praise you for your victory on the cross. Help us to be still and stop striving in our own strength. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Alert (Liz Morris)

God Sings Over You With Joy (Penny Cox)

Breakfast On The Beach (Penny Cox)