Depend on (Liz Morris)

The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Psalm 18:2

 

Who or what is your rock? We all have certain people or things we depend on or maybe we prefer to only depend on ourselves! Whether it’s a coffee to wake you up in the morning, a person who is there for you when we hit hard times or maybe we aim to be totally self-sufficient and don’t like depending on anyone or anything. No matter where we turn, God is our rock and we can depend on him at all times.

What are you facing today? What grief or pain are you suffering right now? Why not turn to God, your rock? You can go to him exactly as you are, tell Him whatever you want. There is no pain, fear or difficulty that you can face that Jesus hasn’t already faced and overcome at the cross. What an amazing God we serve!

Proverbs 3:5 says ‘trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding’. As a child I was taught the bible song ‘The wise man built his house upon the rock’ remember that?! I try not to be the foolish one who built his house upon the sand and I still find it a powerful image to help me check what I am depending on and instead to trust God, no matter my own understanding of a situation, and do as His word says and build my life upon the rock.

Let’s pray: Father God, your word in Isaiah 26:3-4 says ‘You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal’. Please be the rock eternal for us and we ask your Holy Spirit to remind us of this promise often and help us to depend on you no matter what, especially in our darkest days. Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Alert (Liz Morris)

Jesus and the strong man (Nico Marais)

God Sings Over You With Joy (Penny Cox)