Oily heads (James Clee)

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. (Psalm 23:5)

I love a good roast. But when it comes to washing up the roasting tray the oil doesn’t come off easily. I frequently find my wife rewashing my pitiful attempts. 


In this verse the host anoints the guest with oil - a sign of hospitality and honour. I take comfort in the fact that this oil doesn’t wipe off either! No matter what, because of Jesus, God will always welcome, honour and anoint us as guests at His table.


Lord, thank you that you anoint us with oil that cannot be wiped off. What an honour to sit and be welcomed to your table. Amen


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Alert (Liz Morris)

God Sings Over You With Joy (Penny Cox)

Jesus and the strong man (Nico Marais)